Tech Transfer - University of Michigan

Fueling Economic Development

Material Transfer Agreements

Material Transfer Agreements (MTA) describe the terms under which University researchers can share and receive materials with other researchers at universities or with industry, typically for research or evaluation purposes. Agreements for materials leaving the University (outgoing MTAs) and for materials entering the University (incoming MTAs) are administered by U-M Tech Transfer. The MTA defines the rights of the provider and the recipient with respect to the materials and any derivatives, and intellectual property rights may be endangered if materials are transferred without a proper MTA. Biological materials, such as reagents, cell lines, plasmids, and vectors, are the most frequently transferred materials, but MTAs may also be used for other types of materials, such as chemical compounds and even some types of software.

Click on links below to learn more about when MTAs are needed and how to submit an MTA request:

When do I need an MTA?

Instructions for submitting MTA requests


Contact Us

Printed from: